Tuesday, September 1, 2009

La Cueca

I am soooo surprised that I haven't gotten sick yet. Not only is Javier sick, and that he insists on sneezing and coughing on my iTouch and Laptop, but they also don't have soap or hot water in most places. And it doesn't stop there! Nothing, besides cake of all things, is put in the fridge. It is so overwhelming to me to walk into the kitchen and see ham laying out in the open when we had it like 4 hours ago and then to eat ham for dinner and know that it is the same ham that was laying out. Thats the same with soup and meat and rice and noodles and fruit and salad. When I eat it, I already know that it has been in "the danger zone" (hahahah) for way too long, and it kind of scares me.... Granted, it could be worse....

On another note, I electrocuted myself the other morning! It was quite the shock, if you know what I mean... :)

I had school again today! I didn't go to first period because they were taking a test, so I went to the library and wrote a letter or two. It made me cry. It's a very good thing I'm not allowed to wear make-up... Today was pretty boring, as far as classes. At the end of the day, all the kids had to do this dance thing because it's the month of September, which is a big deal here. On the 18th, Chile got it's independence from Spain, and they like to celebrate! So anyways, they had to do this dance called "La Cueca" and it was soooo funny to watch! All the girls had on these dresses of bright colors and crazy flowers. They looked like maids. And the boys had to wear these poncho type things and dress shirts and boots and straw hats. They danced to the Chilean National Anthem. It was like this, but with 30 teenage kids!



After school I decided to stay after for Atletismo (Track) and it was pretty easy. Afterall, they don't run very much here! I probably stretched more than I ran! But afterwards, Miriam totally forgot about me and I waited for like 45 minutes until one of my friends offered me a ride home. When we got to the gate, she was getting in her car and she got out and said hi and told me that she was leaving to take Marisol home. And to think I almost didn't take the ride with my friend!

1 comment:

  1. You are a good writer Auntie Em. Maybe a profession?

    ReplyDelete